Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Karate Dillemna, Injuries

Above: Myself sparring with Sensei Vince Nistico during my 2nd degree black belt exam.

Above, Kathleen Resburg during her last kyu exam. Here pictured with Sensei Tim Hanlon. Out of screen shot is other judges Sensei Cherry, Sensei Fitzpatrick, and Sensei Nishyama.

My right shoulder doesn't want to move. I can movie it, but I pay for it later. It's been injured for three months now. Almost getting better, I train, and reinjure it. What does the inner self discipline of karate tell us. Daily practice, conviction, perseverence. To continue training may injure it, to seek medical care might ground me completely.

So I've been looking up sports injury information, trying to find the right set of exercises to heal it, and I found great information about how to do karate right. This page has an excellent tutorial any karateka should watch:

http://www.newtonsapple.tv/video.php?id=1297

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iEwQoo4dIVg&feature=related

In the last link, a national geographic video about karate sport science shows a man kicking a crash test dummy and finding he has created impact scores literally lethal. The look on his face explains it all.

Anyway, Kathleen I hope you enjoy the picture.
Nina

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Nina, I was doing some genealogic research online and came across your photo of me during my kyu exam. At the end of the photo you said, 'Kathleen, I hope you like the photo.' Other than seeing my layers of fat (ha! ha!), I think it's a pretty nice photo, and I'm honored that you would post it on your blog. Thank you! And, thank you for the training help in today's seminar, too! Much appreciated!